Thursday, March 1, 2012

Phrasal verbs

Two-parts verbs are made up of a verb (turn, go, look) and a particle (down, up, off, on), which changes the meaning of the verb.

In             Ann opened the door of the car and got in.
                I waited outside the house. I didn’t go in.

Out          The car stopped and a woman got out.
                I went to the window and looked out.

On           The bus arrived and I got on.


Off           Don’t fall off.


Up           He stood up and left the room.
                He usually gets up early.   
                We looked up at the stars.

Down       Would you like to sit down?
                The picture fell down.
                Lie down on the floor

Away or off
                 The thief ran away.                                    The thief ran off.
                 Ann got into the car and drove away.         Ann got into the car and drove off.   

Back         We went out for dinner and then went back to our hotel.
                 Go away and don’t come back.

Over         The wall wasn’t very high, so we climbed over.
                 Turn over and look at the next page.

Round or around    Somebody shouted my name, so I looked round.
                              We went for a long walk. After six miles we turned round and went back.

When the object of the two-part verbs is a noun, the noun can come either after the particle or between the verb and the particle.
Put on your coat            Put your coat on
Take off your coat.        Take your coat off.

When the object of the two-part verbs is pronoun, the pronoun can only come between the verb and the particle.
It was cold, so I put on my coat.
Here’s your coat. Put it on.

I’m going to take off my shoes.
Your shoes are dirty. Take them off.

No comments:

Post a Comment